Adas Polo is the lifesaver of every Iranian who craves authentic Persian rice but wants to eat healthy dishes as well. On the off chance that you don’t have the foggiest idea what to make for lunch, go with Adas Polo and love it. It’s a delicious and nutritious option composed of Polo as rice and Adas as lentils.
Persian Polo, Iranian Pilaf, and Persian rice are all names for the same delicious dish. Rice, in fact, is one of the staple foods in many cultures around the world. Rice is like the holy dish in every household, symbolizing abundance and prosperity.
The various flavors in this dish (Adas polo) make it phenomenal for you. To begin with, the smell of Persian rice sparks your interest, and afterward, one spoonful of it presents to you the pleasantness of raisins as well as the delicacy of lentils.
Lentils have been among the most essential crops since the ancient period, and the size of the seeds has increased over time. Also, different species appeared in different colors. The origin of lentils in various colors and tastes is not yet known, but the bigger lentils primarily existed in Iran and Turkey.
How to Cook Adas Polo?
To cook Adas Polo, follow these simple steps:
- Rinse the lentils thoroughly and soak them in water for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat some oil in a pot and sauté finely chopped onions until golden brown.
- Add the soaked lentils and cook them for a few minutes before adding water or broth.
- Season with salt, turmeric, and other desired spices.
Let it simmer until the lentils are tender, and most of the liquid is absorbed. In a separate pot, cook the rice according to the instructions we discussed earlier. It’s not that much of a mixed-up dish you can cook quickly at home.
The Ingredients of Adas Polo
- Rice, 3 scales
- Lentils, 1 scale.
- Raisin, 1 scale.
- Mid-size onion, 2.
- Saffron, 1 tablespoon.
- Butter, 1 tablespoon.
- Salt, pepper, and turmeric as much as needed.
By the way, it must be mentioned that here in Naaz, Adas Polo doesn’t contain any kind of meat, and it’s considered one of our vegan dishes. So feel free to tell your vegan friends and you as a vegan to come here and have this exceptional Persian food experience.
Related Post: Best Vegan dishes you Must Try
Adas Polo Recipe
1. After rinsing the rice in cold water, soak it for four hours in 5 cups (1.245 liters) of cold water with 2 tablespoons of salt.
2. After giving the lentils a thorough rinse in cold water, soak them for four hours in plenty of water.
3. Add 12 cups of cold water to the saucepan with the rinsed lentils.
4. Bring to a boil over high heat; once it does, immediately lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 to 30 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
5. Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt and toss in at the end of cooking.
6. After draining, keep the lentils aside.
7. Take out the rice.
8. In a big nonstick pot, bring 6 cups (1,5 liters) of water, 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a boil.
9. After draining, add the rice to the pot of boiling water.
10. Boil the rice for 8 minutes, covered, on medium heat, or until done. It needs to be slightly firm.
11. To help separate the rice grains and make the rice softer, drain the rice and rinse it in cold water.
12. In a sizable nonstick Dutch oven, heat 5 tablespoons of ghee over medium heat.
13. Fill the pot with a layer of rice.
14. Place a layer of rice on top of the lentils, followed by another one, completing the layers with all the rice and lentils.
15. Reduce the heat to very low and cook the rice for a further 30 minutes after covering the pot with a big towel. Cover the pot and cook on high heat for 10 minutes to get the rice steaming.
16. Sauté the onions for 3 minutes over medium heat, turning often, in a large skillet with 4 tablespoons of the ghee while the rice is cooking.
17. Combine the onions, dates, and raisins with the ground meat. Salt, advice, cinnamon, and turmeric can be added to taste.
18. Stir thoroughly and cook the meat until it is evenly browned. Place aside.
19. Mix 3 tablespoons of boiling water with the saffron to dissolve it.
20. Take the lid off the rice and lentil pot and cover it with a wide towel. Combine the layers of rice and lentils, and then add the saffron infusion and 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
21. Re-cover the pot with the lid and the huge cloth, and cook for a further 15 minutes over deficient heat.
22. Garnish the rice with a combination of raisins, barberries, and meat.
Related Post: Persian Drinks at Naaz
The History of Adas Polo: Persian Lentil Rice
Adas, or Persian Lentils, are from a small plant similar to a pea, and the seed is considered a bean. It’s available in various kinds and colors: brown, green, and orange lentils.
In Iran, lentils are used to make “Adas Polo”. The oldest signs of lentils discovered by human dates back to 11000 years B.C., and it’s related to Fanchthi Cave in Western Greece.
So, it’s simply concluded that lentils were the first crops used by human beings.
The word “lentils” in Persian is Adas, while the word for rice is polo (or polow). Although its exact origins are unknown, this dish may have originated in ancient Persia but has Mediterranean elements.
This recipe is tasty because of the dried fruits. It can be combined with the Iranian rice from Cyruscrafts to make an excellent and straightforward dish. The combination of flavors creates a unique and satisfying culinary experience.
Various Types of Lentils
Tiny lentils contain a high amount of antioxidants.
Green lentils are rich in antioxidants and minerals, especially iron and magnesium.
It is rich in protein and contains amino acids, vitamin B1, minerals, and dietary fiber.
The Benefits of Lentils
- Lentils contain six crucial minerals, such as two types of vitamin B and non-fat protein.
- It’s perfect for improving the stomach, and it’s full-feed to provide the energy needed for everyone.
- No Anemia with Lentils
- Lentils are highly enriched with iron, and it really helps to increase red blood cells to cure anemia.
- Better Digestion
- Lentils are high in fiber, it leads to improvements in food movement and eases the digestion of nutrients.
- Weight Control
- Many surveys have revealed that regular consumption of lentils leads to weight control.
- Healthy Nervous System
- Vitamins and minerals in lentils are beneficial for better brain function.
- Better Metabolism
- Lentils are an acceptable source of vitamins like vitamin B3, which has a crucial role in improving digestion and the nervous system.
- The vitamin has many other benefits, such as reducing the danger of Alzheimer’s, diabetes, osteoporosis, and cataracts.
Related Post: How healthy is Persian food?
What Desserts and Appetizers to Pair with Adas Polo?
Adas Polo deeply goes well with yogurt. That’s because of the cold temperament of yogurt in comparison with raisins with a warm temperament.
As the appetizer, Kale kabab, and Pomegranate olives are other suggestions to eat with Adas Polo.
The best dessert afterward would be Saffron Dish. Pistachio ice cream, saffron pear, and saffron cotton candy. If you would like to know more about another mixed rice, you can visit Baghali Polo.
Naaz is looking forward to meeting you by its side to make a vivid memory with family and friends.
Related Post: Family Friendly Restaurants Adelaide
Some families cook Adas Polo (lentil and rice) with ground beef layered in, but my family always loved it better without meat when we were kids. It’s a tasty and incredibly healthy dish.
Adas Polow, which comes in 310 grams or one plate, has 925 calories, which makes it a healthier option for lunch than a fast food burger, which has over 1000 calories.
Dried lentils can be kept for up to a year in an airtight cabinet container or a cool, dry place. After cooking, cover and chill for two hours. Once cooked, dried lentils can be frozen for up to six months or refrigerated for five to seven days.